80. ‘A Christmas Night’s Adventure’. The Illustrated London News, 22 Dec 1855, p. 739. Signed.
81. ‘Arthur Hargrave, or The Uniform of Foolscap’. The Illustrated London Magazine, ca. 1855-6. [Described by Yates (RE,* 1:285) as ’a serial story … of which I do not remember much, save that it did not run very long, expiring with the magazine’. The magazine is not listed in British Museum Catalogue or Waterloo Directory of Victorian Periodicals.]
82. ‘The First Ring’. Part of The Wedding Rings of Shrimpington-super-Mare, etc., extra Christmas number of The Welcome Guest, 1858, pp. 5-7. Signed.
83. ‘Snowbound’. Extra Christmas number of The Welcome Guest, 3 (1861). Yates contributed the framing story, pp. 309-12, 349. Signed.
84. ‘How the Second Floor Kept a Dog’. Part of Mrs. Lirriper’s Lodgings, extra Christmas number of All the Year Round, 10 (1863): 31-5. Unsigned.
85. ‘Slaves of the Lamp’. Extra Christmas number of All the Year Round, 7 (1871): 1-48.. Unsigned. [Yates almost certainly contributed the framing story, which is set in Ireland where he spent a long period on post-office business in 1871 (see RE, 2:213-16). He may also have written one of the inset stories, ‘The Last Tenants of Hangman’s House’, set in Cornwall where he also spent some time in 1871.]
86. ‘Doom’s Day Camp’. Extra Christmas number of All the Year Round 9(1872):1-48. Unsigned. [Yates contributed the framing story. See RE, 2:254 and Anne Lohrli (comp.), Household Words . . . Table of Contents, List of Contributors (University of Toronto Press, 1973), p. 475.]
87. ‘The Blue Chamber’. Extra Christmas number of All the Year Round, 11(1873): 1-48. Unsigned. [See RE, 2:289. Yates contributed the framing story and perhaps some or all of the five inset ones.]
88. ‘Thoroughbred. A Story in Four Chapters’. In Wit and Pleasure: Seven Tales by Seven Authors. London: Virtue, 1877. [Not sighted.]