203. Baker, Ernest A. The History of the English Novel. 9 vols. London: H. F. & G. Witherby, 1924-1939.
204. Colby, Robert A. Fiction With a Purpose: Major and Minor Nineteenth-Century Novels. Bloomington and London: Indiana UP, 1967.
205. Edwards, P.D. Some Mid-Victorian Thrillers: The Sensation Novel, Its Friends and Its Foes. St. Lucia: University of Queensland Press, 1971.
206. Elton, Oliver. A Survey of English Literature 1830-1880. 2 vols. London: Edward Arnold, 1920.
207. Hollingsworth, Keith. The Newgate Novel, 1830-1847: Bulwer, Ainsworth, Dickens and Thackeray. Detroit: Wayne State UP, 1963.
208. Horsman, Alan. The Victorian Novel. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1990.
209. Russell, Percy. A Guide to British and American Novels. London: Digby, Long, 1894.
210. Saintsbury, George. A History of Nineteenth Century Literature (1780-1900). London: Macmillan, 1916.
211. Showalter, Elaine. A Literature of their Own: British Women Novelists from Bronte to Lessing. London: Virago, 1978.
212. Walker, Hugh. The Literature of the Victorian Era. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1910.